Welcome to the
'Inspiring Women to Lead'
In 2012, a landmark survey of gender diversity in the leadership of the community sector (undertaken in collaboration by YWCA Australia, ACOSS and Women on Boards) – found that women make up 85% of the community sector’s workforce but only 51% of all board director roles and 60% of senior management positions.
The survey also found that female board members are more likely to be
sitting on the boards of smaller organisations than their male
counterparts. Specifically, women are more likely to be on boards of
organisations with a turnover of less than $1 million, and men are
likely to be on boards of organisations with a turnover greater than $30
The participation of women on boards is higher for the community sector than for government and private sector boards. However, while far more women than men are working in the community sector, women aren't making it to senior leadership positions at rates equivalent to their workforce representation.
Inspiring Women to Lead is series of 15 interviews with a diverse range of female leaders (and one man!) from Western Australia.
The aim of this Inspiring Women to Lead project is build on the positive foundation of women’s representation and
leadership that can already be found in the not for profit sector, and to INFORM and INSPIRE women to take up leadership and board positions both in greater numbers,
and in larger organisations.
Click on the links below (or use the menu is the left sidebar) to listen to each of the interviews:
- Angela Hartwig, CEO Women’s Council for Domestic & Family Violence Service
- Angie Paskevicius, CEO Holyoake
- Elizabeth Shaw, President of UN Women Australia
- Fadzi Whande, Diversity Consultant, CommunityWest
- June Oscar AO, CEO Marninwarntikura Fitzroy Women’s Resource Centre
- Justine Colyer, CEO Rise Network
- Kimberley (Kimba) Benjamin, Reconciliation WA
- Lily Chen, Lawyer and Councillor, City of Perth
- Liza Harvey MLA, Member for Scarborough
- Nicky Howe, CEO Southcare
- Senator Rachel Siewert, Greens Senator
- Simone McGurk MLA, Member For Fremantle
- Steve Joske CSC, Executive Director Red Cross (WA) & WACOSS President
- Sue Ash AO, CEO UnitingCare West
- Sue Van Leeuwen, CEO Leadership WA
WACOSS acknowledges the support provided for this project by the following organisations: